Saturday, May 29, 2010

Kusamono

Ok, it’s been a few weeks since my last update but I NEED to get a few things up. When I first started bonsai I never gave much thought to the accent plants that people displayed alongside their trees. A few years back I saw a post on the Internet Bonsai Club by Wolfgang Puts showing off his accents or Kusamono. I have never been much of a “flower guy” but I was really drawn to these plants. I think it was mostly due to the incredible pots he had them displayed in and the unusual plant varieties he used and often mixed. Last year was the first year I tried growing potted flowers and had a little success but could never find suitable pots.

This year while I was searching American potters I came across a site for Iker Bonsai. I was really impressed with his pottery which was a bit of a change for me. Almost all of the pots I seem to like are all out of the Tokoname catalog. I bit the bullet and ordered 5 pots from Chuck and I couldn’t be happier! I would like to thank Chuck for his work; I will definitely be back for many more pots! Keep in mind my accents are nothing to write home about but I feel the combination of plants in his pots look fantastic. Side note, the slabs and display stands are from 2 new burls I got recently. They are both Manzanita and will be sanded and covered in a satin top coat… but that’s another post.

This first picture is of one of Chuck Iker’s round rustic accent pots. I planted two varieties of sedum with a dwarf goose grass (miniature daisy).



Next is another one of Iker Bonsai’s rustic accent pots. It has the same two varieties of sedum in it.

This is probably one of my favorites. It’s a grass I found and the only name on the pot was “spirals”. Again in its new home in an Iker accent pot.


This is a cool flower I found; the only tag on it said it was “Thrift”. It is not in an Iker pot, its sitting in a VERY inexpensive round pot I had sitting on my pot shelf but I thought the two suited each other well.

This picture is a terrible quality shot of a pot I got at the Midwest Bonsai show back in 09. I got it from Jim Doyle’s booth but I haven’t been able to figure out who the potter is. The plant is another variety of sedum called Blue Balls. I think the combination work really well together.

Last but not least is another miniature flower that I do not know the name for. The pot was an accent pot belonging to a friend of mine that no longer wanted it. Not a high end pot by any means but I like the glaze.



That's it for now.


~ Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment